The Rope Wrench is a friction device that allows the climber to ascend, descend and work the tree "Single Rope" with a friction hitch. It is not intended for use as primary life support. The wrench has undergone an impressive design evolution since it first appeared in wooden form.
This tool is a simple yet effective tool that assists a climber climbing up and down in Single Rope Technique (SRT). The Rope Wrench works by using leverage to force the rope into an S shape and providing friction for a controlled descent. When engaged, the Rope Wrench acts much like a conventional descent device such as a Figure eight. When not engaged, the Rope Wrench provides no interference with ascending the rope. This allows the climber to work an entire tree using Single Rope Technique.
Please Consider: The Rope Wrench is recommended for tree climbers who have a working knowledge of Single Rope Technique. This means you have received qualified training and have practical experience climbing SRT.
- Rope diameter range (mm)11 - 13mm (7/16 - 1/2")
- Weight (grams)128
This is the latest version produced by ISC WALES.
- The new version is made of aluminum.
- It is lighter and smaller than the original version.
- Machined edges and curves are rope friendly and user friendly
- The mid-line "Slic" pin is included.
- Much slimmer profile.
- Easily opens with an allen wrench for tether installation. Just one bolt.
- The bottom friction pin features a roller sheave for a smoother ascent and descent.
- The upper friction pin includes a larger diameter "slic" pin. This provides more consistent friction and is more rope friendly.
- The stiff tether (sold separately) forces the Rope Wrench to quickly engage or disengage.